The other side of the story
Spring Term 2
In Year 2 we are reading The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, Jon Scieszka. We are going to be learning about the characters in the story and their side of the story. We hope this will inspire and motivate us as learners in these areas:
- As Readers we will be reading The Three Little Pigs. We will be reading different versions of the book, watching animations and retellings of the story to see how they differ. We will also read The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, Jon Scieszka. This is the story told by the wolf and we will begin to explore how stories can be different when told from ‘the other side’.
- As Writers we will be writing a report in the role of the wolf. We will be exploring ways we can find interesting words to describe the wolf and his feelings. We will begin to use adverbs and fronted adverbials in our writing. We will be using thesauruses to make individual word banks, unique to us, so each piece of writing is different. We will also begin to use speech punctuation in our writing.
- As Mathematicians we will continue to deepen our knowledge on number and place value. As this is the foundation of all mathematical learning it is important that we are really confident in this area. We will continue to use different strategies and resources to find out what works best for each of us as individual and independent learners. We will be focusing on reasoning and being able to ‘prove it!’ or ‘show me!’ This will be in the form of Challenges which will be stuck and answered in our books.
- As Scientists we will continue to learn about Materials through practical lessons and experiments. We will look at what materials the pig’s houses were made from and why some fell down. We will be using many skills including exploring, comparing, identifying, recording and, as always, expanding our scientific vocabulary.
- As Geographers we will build our knowledge around Countries and the Capital Cities around the world. We will continue to revise our learning about the Continents and Oceans.
- As Artists and Designers we will be designing puppets and sets to retell the story of the Three Little Pigs. We will continue to expand our artistic vocabulary and build on our artistic techniques.
- As Historians we will be learning about the life of Florence Nightingale and the great work she did to revolutionise the way hospitals were run. We will be using IPads, Laptops and non-fiction books about her life to help us with our writing. We will be looking at people who help us at home, at school and in the wider community.