Spring Term 1
Secrets of Nature
In Year 3 we are exploring enchanted worlds through The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde. We hope this will inspire and motivate us as learners in these areas:
- As Writers, we will be using persuasive language to write a persuasive letter to the giant. We will also become creative writers, describing the ‘garden of our wildest dreams’, inspired by the Selfish Giant’s beautiful garden. For non-fiction writing, we will be writing about plants.
- As Readers, we will be reading The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde. We will immerse ourselves in the literature to support our writing outcomes.
- As Mathematicians, we will continue exploring calculation strategies to strengthen our understanding of multiplication and division. We will be adding and subtracting amounts of money to give change. We will also be learning how to interpret and present data using bar charts, pictograms, and tables.
- As Scientists, we will be learning about plants. We will learn about the different parts of plants; roots, stem, leaves and flowers. We will explore the requirements of plants for life and growth, and the role of flowers in the life cycle of flowering plants.
- As Historians, we will continue to investigate the changes in Britain from the Stone Age through to the Iron Age. We will be investigating the major changes which took place during these periods of change focussing on the Iron Age.
- As Geographers, we will be exploring our local area and looking for physical features to identify. We will then compare human and physical features within our local area.
- As Artists and Designers, we will be sketching scenes and landscapes of our local area. We will also be exploring water colour based paints to paint sceneries.
- As Theologians, we will be exploring Buddhism and looking at the major principles which underpin the religion.
- As Computer Scientists, we will be using Storyjumper to create a digital book about plants.